Saturday, November 26, 2011

The 99% Atheist Challenge

A common conversation between a Christian and an atheist may resemble the following:



ATHEIST
: I don't believe in god.



CHRISTIAN: Why?


ATHEIST: There is no evidence for god.



CHRISTIAN
: Really? But what about the Universe, the Big Bang, fine-tuning, DNA, the fossil record, meiosis, mitosis, chirality, protein synthesis, irreducible complexity, specified complexity, language, universal morality, intelligence, self-awareness, free will, fulfilled Bible prophecy, the resurrection of Jesus?





ATHEIST: Well, besides all of that, there is no evidence for god.


And the frustrating cycle of conversation ensues. For what it's worth, let me offer a new approach (and it's actually quite easy and fun!). Imagine the same conversation, but continued this way...


CHRISTIAN: Do you know everything there is to know in the Universe?


ATHEIST (startled): What?! Well, of course not, nobody does!


CHRISTIAN: Then, let me ask--of all the information there is to know, how much of that do you know?


ATHEIST: Well, uh, that's a bit hard to estimate...


CHRISTIAN: Well, if we say that all of the knowledge is represented by the number 100%, then what percent do you have a pretty good handle on...I mean really, really know?


ATHEIST: Hmmm..that's a good question, but I'm not even sure where to begin.


CHRISTIAN: Okay, fair enough, would you say that you know 10%, or 5%...what percent?


ATHEIST: I would not be so arrogant to assume that much, it wouldn't be that high...I mean, even Stephen Hawking wouldn't pretend to know that much.


CHRISTIAN: I agree, then would you say, maybe 1%, or maybe close to 1%?


ATHEIST: That's still pretty high, considering the Universe and all, but let's just say somewhere between 0% and 1%. 


CHRISTIAN: So, you would say that you know less than 1% of all there is to know?


ATHEIST: Yes, that is correct.


CHRISTIAN: Okay, then isn't it logical that there could be good evidence for god in the 99% of the knowledge that you have admitted that you don't know?


ATHEIST: Well, uh...now, um---but, I--


CHRISTIAN: If the police looked for clues in a crime scene, but only searched less than 1% of it, would you say that they had completed their investigation to the best of their ability?


ATHEIST: Well, when you put it that way, then, um, no..but--


CHRISTIAN: So then, by your own admission, your investigation into the evidence for god has barely started, but you are satisfied to pronounce that there is no god, period.


ATHEIST: Umm...now, uh, well, I have yet to see any evidence in my investigation so far...




CHRISTIAN: Except for the Universe, the Big Bang, fine-tuning, DNA, the fossil record, meiosis, mitosis, chirality, protein synthesis, irreducible complexity, specified complexity, language, universal morality, intelligence, self-awareness, free will, fulfilled Bible prophecy, the resurrection of Jesus?


ATHEIST: Umm, yes, except for all of that, I have yet to find any evidence...


CHRISTIAN: Just to be clear, you have yet to find it in your less than 1% of the total evidence? Is the case closed then?





ATHEIST
: Yes..I mean, no. Sorry, I have to leave now, I have read another chapter of any book by Richard Dawkins, it always makes me feel better about myself.









(In the interest of openness and full disclosure, this 99% argument concept is not original with me. I am not totally sure of the original source. I just took the concept and created an imaginary discussion based upon it)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the number of requests, I have enabled commenting for this blog. All submissions must be approved. Please be patient during the review process.

If you have questions or challenges concerning the reasonableness of the Christian faith, CLICK HERE to submit the question.